Today (May 18, 2016) I learned that my cousin Tina died unexpectedly. I knew she was going in to have an elective surgery since she had posted about it on social media leading up to that day. But I received a call from my sister Lisa when I was at work and I was stunned. She was truly the HEALTHIEST person I knew. She was a talented chef, cook book author, yoga enthusiast and was also a life coach for some people in her life. I could not imagine a more devastating loss than this. My parents had just arrived in Oklahoma when they heard the news and my sweet Mom literally got on a plane that same day to be with my aunt Pam who desperately needed support. I didn't learn details until later, and it made my heart so sad to hear that it was my sweet aunt that had found her unresponsive. The emergency personnel tried their best to brink her back but it was too late. We didn't find out until weeks later that they could find no medical reason for her passing. It was just a tragic event. Because is was so sudden and unexpected the family needed help to prepare her service, etc. I immediately began a "Go Fund Me" for her and the response was absolutely unbelievable. I knew that our extended family would step up and donate, but it was the people I DIDN'T know, her many friends and coworkers etc that blew me away. Within just a few days we had collected over $8,000. Our goal was $5000 to help pay for her service and arrangements. But because of the kindness of all these people it was also able to help my aunt Pam to stay home from work for an extended period of time to heal. I flew to Portland to meet my Mom and Pam (thanks to Chan's parents) to help with the services and to be there to support my cousins/family. I don't feel like I did a lot to help, but being there was very important to me. I wanted my family to know that this is what you do when things like this happen. My aunt gave me a huge hug the day I left and thanked me for coming and for doing the go fund me. I know she was very grateful. My Mom ended up staying a bit longer with her and I KNOW that her being there made all the difference. My Mom and Pam have basically been sisters since she married her brother many years ago, and their divorce never changed it. She is a sweet soul and my Mom knew she needed to be there.
She was so gorgeous! Her smile and laugh were infectious!
Tina and Pam- one of my favorite pictures.
One of the tables at the service. A celebration of her life. They had a microphone available and people could just go up and share experiences with Tina. It was incredible to hear the impact she had on others. Such an amazing friend to many.
I snapped this pic of me and my Mom before I boarded the plane. Even though it was a short weekend I was glad to be there to help support Pam and my Mom. I took a lot of photos during her service of the many people who had come to support. And when I got home I compiled them all, along with the very thoughtful messages written by many on the go fund me site and social media, and made a book for each member of their family. I had them delivered to each of them at their homes. They all reached out to me with heartfelt thanks for the kind gift. I knew they needed to have these messages to read and reflect on to help their family heal. I love them all and wish them the best as they try to move forward from here.
Love you Tina
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment