On Wednesday September 10th Carter was due to report to the MTC. On this day we kept Will and Brianne home from school. There was NO WAY that I was going to make them miss this! We didn't have to be there until around 1pm so we took our time gathering Carter's things and making sure he had EVERYTHING he needed. Funny story... as we were getting ready to bring all his things out to the truck I was putting his debit card etc in his wallet when I asked him where his temple recommend was. He told me where it was and then I replied that the one he mentioned was his OLD one... hmmmm....
We spent the next few minutes frantically looking for it! Even texting the bishop to find out what we'd do if we couldn't find it! Thankfully, after a prayer was offered, he thought to check his suit pants in his suitcase. We found it there... thankfully...where he had left it! Once that was handled and Carter said goodbye to Dakota, who spent a while with us that morning, we all piled in the truck and went to breakfast at Ihop. We had a delicious breakfast and watched Carter text and snapchat MANY friends all morning! Handing over the phone hadn't happened yet! Haha!
With our tummies now full it was time to head south to Provo! I had to take one last "car selfie" on our way! Soon there would only be 4....
On our ride to Provo Carter put out his last Snapchat story! Both of these pictures were in it!
When we arrived to the Provo temple grounds there was this HUGE grass area and a parking lot. We found a good spot to park and I HAD to get a picture by this sign! It was just too funny! There were several families all there with their missionaries and ALL of us were waiting for our turn to drop off our boys.
All of the families had their cameras and were snapping loads of pictures... just like me! I wanted to have some pictures of the kids together etc so that I could cherish it while he's away. The one below is currently my desktop on my computer. It makes me happy :)
We walked all over the lawn and were admiring the weather and the beautiful scenery! I had never been to that temple before and had NO IDEA how stunning that canyon is by the temple. As the time to leave grew near I saw Chan grab Carter to give him a hug and tell him how proud he was. It was then that I saw the tears in Chan's eye's and that's when mine wouldn't stop flowing. I hugged him and just cried.... he held me so tight and I could tell (without words) that he was trying to be brave.
As I write this I have tears running down my cheeks- it was so tough to say goodbye. I had SO MUCH more I wanted to say! There was so much more I could have taught etc etc etc! After my hug it was Will and Brianne's turn- we knew this would be the better time to say our official "goodbyes". With each hug Carter didn't say very much and when he did he tried to make us laugh... again trying to be brave for the family, but I knew he was struggling too.
We climbed back in the truck and drove the short distance to the MTC. It was here that it all became VERY real! The church is amazingly organized and as we drove in they directed us to our area to drop off. As we drove alongside the curb it was covered with missionaries with their name tags on smiling and welcoming the new arrivals. Carter pointed out one shortly before we stopped saying he knew him! We put the truck in park and had a sweet missionary greet us and help us get out his bags. By this time the missionary he recognized from his high school had made it over to him and was giving him a big hug!
This is when he said "okay bud it's time to go". By now I couldn't control my tears... I hugged him tight and he reassured me and said, "I'll be back before you know it" and "I love you"! I didn't want to let him go! But I turned and got inside the truck with my family and we drove away. THAT WAS THE HARDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE!! Our Stake President the night before told us it was going to feel as if we had just left a funeral, boy was he RIGHT! I just couldn't stop crying!! Brianne was struggling too, Chan had his moments, but Will was so strong! He was the sunshine that day- just happy and sweet. Our family was showered with thoughtful messages, texts and sweet treats that day. I went home and went to bed for a bit! I was emotionally exhausted!! We all were to some degree! I am so thankful that I had Chan and the kids to lean on- to make me smile! Will even put on you tube videos of babies laughing to get me to laugh! It was so sweet! The most important thing about that day wasn't that I was sad, because I wasn't "sad". The emotions of the day came from IMMENSE pride! Yes, I will struggle with not being able to speak to him or to hug him, but I know without a doubt that he is where he is supposed to be! He is a special spirit and is going to help so many people find Christ! And we will receive blessings because of HIS service! I do miss him, EVERY DAY, and our home is much quieter and different without his presence, but more than anything I am a VERY proud missionary Mom. See you in two...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment