Friday, July 27, 2018

February 16, 2017

Chan went in to surgery today to correct a slipped disc that happened from his previous back surgery. The disc has been resting on his nerve and has been causing him severe nerve pain down his back and leg. It was supposed to be a easy fix. Since this is not his first surgery (LOL) and I was nervous I asked Kathy to come along with us. She stayed with me while he went in for the procedure. Boy am I glad she was there. I think the Lord knew I would NEED her to be there. When the surgeon came out he didn't wait to deliver the bad news. He couldn't reach the disc without doing more damage than good. So he had surgery, but nothing had been done to fix the issue. They just sewed him up and he came out to speak to me. He would have to let this wound heal and then come back AGAIN only this time they would go through his stomach to access the area. To say I was surprised is a HUGE understatement. I was so upset, but not for myself, for Chan. He now was going to have nerve pain AND the pain from the surgery. When he woke he immediately knew it wasn't fixed. He vaguely remembered the surgeon talking with him, apparently he told Chan, "I failed you". He felt just terrible about it all. The Dr came and spoke to us again before he left and assured us they would do all they could to get him back in as promptly as they could. I was beyond grateful for Kathy being there, she took care of notifying the family and also handed me cash to take care of the kids dinner etc. She was also only a call away if I needed her. I was SO thankful she was there. I would have been a MESS and I don't think I would have remembered anything the Dr said! Chan ended up staying overnight and then I took him home the next day to rest and heal. We needed to make him as comfortable as possible. He ended up working from home for several weeks, going into work just wasn't possible because of the pain.


No comments: