Sunday, August 19, 2012

Arizona Trip

 The last week of July I flew to Arizona to meet my Mom there and to go to my Uncle Bill's funeral. He was diagnosed with cancer in March and after battling rounds of chemo he passed away. My Dad was unable to attend so I told my Mom I would meet her there to help her through it. We decided we would make the most of it. So I met her in the airport and we went to stay at my Aunt Susan's home. She had a remarkable back yard (pictured above). It seriously looks like a golf course!
 We were able to go to the grave site for my Grandparents. I haven't been able to go there since my Grandpa passed away so I was glad to be able to go and see it. (sorry it's upside down!)
 The only good thing about these events is that your able to see family that you haven't been able to in a long while. I do get to see my Aunt Kay often because she lives nearby, but my Mom and Aunt Susan are far so it was fun to spend time with them.
 My Mom and I shared a room, so we were able to chat late at night, and we even managed to get some shopping in together. It was fun to see and spend time with her.
 We also went by my old neighborhood since my cousin lives nearby. I snapped this shot of the Ward building that was right across the street from our house.
 Here's my house- it looks really different! They painted it that nasty green- it used to be off white. And when we lived there it was gravel where they have grass. But that tile leading to the door is the same that my parents laid when we were living there! Also, the palm trees are the ones my parents planted! They were MUCH smaller then!
 This is the elementary school I went to! Still looks pretty darn good!
 I snapped this picture of a picture at the funeral. This is how I remember my Uncle Bill and Aunt Juanita. They are awesome people and have amazing kids. I loved being able to visit with those cousins because I haven't seen them in person for years. They are all amazing people and have wonderful families.
 This is a picture of my cousin David with his two boys Tristan (playing the bagpipe) and Carter. Tristan did an amazing job! I was impressed!
 At the grave site all of my Uncles Grand kids sang- it was really sweet.
I can't remember the last time I've seen my Uncle Jerry but he looked awesome! It was the most amazing service I have ever attended. I left there feeling motivated to do better in my own life. My uncle Bill was such a great example and I'm glad I was able to go and celebrate his life with my Mom. Hopefully, the next time I'm down there will just be to visit my fun family!

1 comment:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

What a sweet experience. Difficult and sad but wonderful and inspiring at the same time. I'm glad you got to go and be with your mom and other family members! And see your old stomping grounds. :) Believe it or not, I actually do recognize your old house! I went down for a weekend with Grandma and Aunt Carol and Catherine once! I don't think I was much older than about 8. It was a beautiful house. I remember loving your pool.