Friday, October 24, 2008

My Bubba..... the 7th grader now

So most of you know that Carter has had some struggles with moving into 7th grade, but these past few weeks he has really kicked it in the butt and has been trying very hard. All through these past weeks I kept telling him he was soooooo smart and that he just needed to apply himself. Well last night he finished an English assignment that knocked my socks off! I read it to Chan and he was very impressed too- so I thought I would share his very creative paper with all of you! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Nice job Carter- keep up the great work!! :)

The cool and easy way to study
The guide
A Tom Cruise production
Really by Carter Crismon

You’re in the middle of a test and you don’t remember the answers.
Well I’m Tom Cruise and I can help. Warning to all parents
This may increase study habits. They did not get kidnapped
by space aliens. Now you get the test back and what do you know you get an F! Now what do you do? Change your name to Julio Sanchez and move to Mexico? NO! Read this here guide and you’ll get an A not an F. With only 11 easy steps this isn’t any mission impossible.

Next, the cool thing to do is to have a study plan.
A study plan is your homework and when it is due. It’s not only for that it is also for extracurricular activities like football and watching my movies.
It’s vital to have a study plan it will help you a ton. The things we should do are … step1- find a quiet place. Step2- maybe get a snack. Step3- get notes, paper and the homework. Step4- use the study plan to study.

The next thing you totally need to know is the S.Q 3 R.
study method, and no it isn’t some weird robot from a game. It is a study plan. S.Q.3R. each letter stands for something. Study, question, Read, Record, Review.

Let’s review, shall we…
First study
Read the title read the text and look at the pretty pictures
Next question
Ask questions about what you just read.
Then read
Read all or as much text as you can.
Record it
Write down all or the important stuff of what you just read.
Review
Then review what you wrote.

Now let’s talk about note taking and memorization.
Note taking is just like texting use short little bits.
Memorizing is what note taking is for.
Now you must listen but we’ll talk about that later.
Now when you listen don’t write down everything.
Just write down the most important stuff.

After you have taken your notes
When you get home look over them and memorize them.
Once you have memorized them know them.

After that you are ready to get your stuff done.
But don’t be afraid to look back to help you.
Take your time and use your notes
That’s what their there for please use them.

Do you remember when I said that I would talk about
Listening? Well let’s talk about it. Well you must listen to
Your teacher. You must listen it is really important to.
You can’t take notes if you don’t listen am I right?
Make sure to listen okay all right.

Now this is really important now use your new listening skills.
These are my study do’s and do not’s.
First I will tell you my do’s

Do get your work done at a descent hour
Do listen to your teacher and your study plan.
And finally do have a fun time doing it.
And now my do not’s.
Do not slack off on your homework
Do not ignore your teacher
And finally do not have a boring time in school and hate it.

And finally make sure you have as much fun as possible.
Use all the steps I gave you and use your study plan the most
Or just a lot. Now was that so hard I told you it
Wasn’t going to be any mission impossible.

1 comment:

TAMPA said...

Carter !! That is soo good Bubba.. so imaginative I love it. I love the spin on Mission Impossible. You surprise me all the time Bubba. Is there anything you are not good at? Love you, Tam