Friday, April 29, 2011

Heritage Pride

On the Saturday before Easter the kids and I went over to visit my Aunt Kay who also lives in St George. She is like a 2nd Mom to me since I lived with her during my college days! She's so fun and my kids just love her, so we went over to chat and during our visit she told us about some of our pioneer ancestors that helped settle St George! I had no idea! She said there were sites here in St George and Washington City that told their story! So we went to grab Chan and off we went to visit them! The picture of us as a family is right by the plaque of our ancestor who was asked by Brigham Young to come to the valley and settle it. (great picture Kay- thanks!!)
His name is Randolph Alexander and he was one of a few men that held prominent positions in committees that helped families settle here in St George.
Here is the story as seen on the monument.
There were also full statues of some of the men as well as this large monument- so cool!
He had quite the hair style don't you think! Chan said he was ahead of his time with that one! Will said he thought he looked a bit like him.
Then we went off to the Relief Society Hall. This plaque tells the story of the building and it was beautiful! They completely restored it and use it now to house receptions and such.
I loved this statue! There were other pictures around the base- it's just gorgeous!
I had Will put his fingers by the two women that were my ancestors. They are related to family on my Grandmother Washburn's side. My Grandmother's sister was actually named Myrza after her- cool.
There was also one more- Brianne and Will are pointing at this name.
We were so grateful that Kay shared this information! Here she is in this picture with me and the kids. THANKS KAY!!
Then we went over to the Brigham Young home because my family and I haven't been there Together!
Here's a shot of Brigham Young as he was older.
When the families came down to St George they had to learn the cotton farming trade. It was rough work and the kids were asked to help too. When we did the tour they ask one of the kids there to try and lift a bundle of cotton! Brianne did it no problem and the tour guide was nice enough to let me get a picture of her with it! :)
They also planted Mulberry trees all over the valley- this one is right behind Brigham's home and it was struck by lighting YEARS ago and some men saved the tree from splitting all the way with these brackets and cement. It's amazing that it still stands! And that it's still ALIVE!
Here's a picture of the kids right by the entrance.
Here's a shot of the outside of the house. Apparently this is the original colors of the house! Brigham was a colorful guy!
This is his bed- pretty extravagant! And beautiful!
This is the other part of his bedroom- it was really quite large!
Here's a shot on the grounds with Kay. I couldn't resist a picture by those amazing flowers! So pretty!
This is a picture of that Mulberry tree- it is HUGE! and so cool!

I am so thrilled we went to see those things. It's so important to know where we come from and to remember the people who settled this amazing place in which we live. Those pioneers were amazing people! I am honored to know that I come from such awesome families!

4 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

OH, what an AWESOME thing to do as a family!! I love seeing everything you did. What a neat heritage! I'm glad you got all the pictures to go with what you learned and saw. VERY cool!

Anna said...

Well crap! My Great-Grandpa on my dad's side is an Alexander. I fear that after 17 years of marriage and 3 children we're about to discover that Rob and I are cousins!
…actually, that might explain a few things :)

Amy said...

I love all of that family history and church history stuff! What a GREAT thing for you guys to do.

Angela said...

I've never been to St. George! It looks like a fun historical trip! Very cool.