Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Service Star

This fall when I was at a Relief Society activity I came across this really cool idea for a Christmas gift. It was a poem that you would attach to a star and this is what the poem said:

Here is a magical Christmas star,

With a tradition old and true.

May it bring you warmth and love

From our home to you.

Now everyday till Christmas,

Find someone in your home.

And secretly do a deed of love

So your identity won’t be known.

And when the secret act is done,

Place the star upon their bed.

They in turn do a secret deed

For another, it is said.

And like the star so long ago,

Lit the sky for all to see.

May this star bring light and joy

To your lovely family!

Merry Christmas!!


I just LOVED that! I knew immediately that it was what I was going to give my neighbors this year. So I went out and found very inexpensive star ornaments and gave them one with the poem attached. Then two weeks ago the kids and I went out on a Sunday night to deliver them. Then the Monday following I did a family home evening and told them about the gift and told them that our family was going to do it too! I chose a star ornament right off our tree and I was the first to start it off. Once it got going it was fun to see what the kids would think to do for each other! I have to say that it's been wonderful to see the service done for each other but it's been even more wonderful to see the kind words to each other and behavior in our home improve. It's amazing the spirit it's brought to our home! It's exactly the type of spirit you want in your home during the holidays and ALWAYS! I'm so grateful to the person in my Ward who brought that idea and even more glad that we tried it! Now YOU can try it in your homes too!

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I think that's a GREAT idea. Love it!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

We have a Service Star in our house, too!!! But I'd never heard the poem. Very cool, and what a great Christmas gift idea! I'd never thought of that (even though it seems a little "duh!") :) That is SO cool!