Saturday, July 2, 2011

End of an era

I took these pictures this week as I helped Chan and his family shut their stores down. I found these signs in the back room of one of their stores and I wanted to share them. These say a lot about who they are and the type of business they run.
I love the mission statement one! SO true! My family always told me how great our customer service was when they were visiting. It's hard to believe it's come to an end.
I took this picture after cleaning the office for the last time. It was empty..... such a strange sight. All the offices were cleaned out and it was not only physically empty but it FELT empty. This past week we went from having 16 stores to 2 in four days. The 2 will run until August 31st and then we are officially done. It's been a physically demanding week on the entire family having to move all the products, fixtures, etc out and over to the warehouse where it all has to be sorted and stored. It's a HUGE job and it started over a month ago, but as of Thursday the majority is done. Thursday was the toughest day though because it was the last day for most our employees. This day was emotionally the toughest. There was a lot of tearful goodbyes. It was also the hardest because it was the day when most of our stores went dark. Chan and I went out to the airport at 5:30 in the morning and didn't get home until 9pm that night. I will admit I held it together until we left the airport for the warehouse and on our way there I cried. But my favorite part of the day was when we all met back up at the warehouse before we left for home. Chan's family broke out a bottle of champagne and poured it in Styrofoam cups (Chan and I had water in ours) and Tom gave a beautiful toast to our wonderful company, our family and the great things to come! It was a wonderful moment and one I won't soon forget. I am so grateful to have been a small part of their company, but even more proud of my husband and his family in seeing what an amazing thing they created. I can't wait to see what comes next! I love you ATG!

3 comments:

Company EIGHT said...

Your family built such an incredible business, and you have so much to be proud of. I can only imagine how it felt to close the doors for the last time, and say goodbye. (((hugs)))

Amy said...

Oh, it's so sad! I know you guys will be okay, but it's got to be such an emotional thing, especially when Chan and his family did such a great job at what they did. Keep us posted on what comes next!

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

OH, that would be SO hard! That is so sad. (And I did NOT buy anything at the SLC airport yesterday!) I know they will do something equally wonderful next. I wish you guys all the best! (And great seeing you this week!!! Hooray!) :)