Monday, October 29, 2012

Youth Activity..... and more

 I have been serving in the Young Women's organization for (I think) almost a year. Recently I was called by the Bishop and he told me he wanted to meet with me. I knew it was a calling and I somehow knew it was still with the Young Women. I had been feeling this coming on for quite some time. I was released from my calling as a Laurel advisor and was called to be the Young Women Secretary! They ended up changing the entire Young Women's presidency and Relief Society presidency, as well as making changes to Primary! It was a big day! And I am THRILLED! I love being with the youth and I am SUPER excited to be serving with these women. They are all AMAZING and I can't wait to see what I am going to learn from them! This past week was our first combined activity as a new presidency and we were thrilled to see the turnout! I am sure it had a lot to do with the fact that is was a haunted boat ride on the Provo River!
 The previous Presidency had discovered it and we thought the kids would have a blast! It wasn't very "scary" at all, but I think they all still had a fun time and that's what is important!
 I am sure eating donuts and sipping hot chocolate was a plus too! We will for sure try to have lots more fun activities like this one in the future! We have had several meetings as a Presidency and we are slowly transitioning into our roles, making changes we see are needed, and making sure the girls know we are FUN! We even surprised the Young Women the week before (during our own YW activity) by doing our own version of "gangnam style" dancing and all! I made up words and we danced and sang "young women style"! It was funny and I'm sure we got their attention!
Funniest part of this combined activity was that I was there as a young women leader and ended up with Will and a bunch of deacons driving to and from Provo! Go figure! But Will and his new Beardo can ride with me anytime! Thanks to my friend Jennie for making it for him! He LOVES it!

Chan has also had a change in a calling recently. He has had several callings over the past two years, most he STILL has! They required him to do a lot on the computer as the Wards Technical specialist and at one point he was also the building coordinator. But then he was called to be the financial clerk about 6 months ago and was LOVING IT! It's a challenge given that the Bishop would call at a moments notice and need him to run over and help him cut a check, but Chan was enjoying every minute. He was really feeling a part of the bishopric. Then about 2 weeks ago he was called by the Stake Presidency and asked to come in to meet with them. It was a funny experience because 2 of them were there (President Fitt and President Davies) and they were being really chatty- talking about weddings, football and such- then we realized they were waiting for President Dahl! It actually made Chan nervous thinking something real major was going to happen! Once he arrived they extended the call and it ended up being a calling as the Ward Clerk. He apparently already had an idea that is what it would be. He accepted and has been attending ward Council the last two weeks. It's been so neat to see him serve in this calling and to see how much he is learning and growing from doing it. We are sure that the Bishopric will be the next thing to change. The Bishop has been in for almost 5 years next month. I just hope Chan will get to stay on- I imagine he will! How grateful we BOTH are to serve!

  

1 comment:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

That is awesome. Such neat callings. I literally was just released from Laurel advisor last week after 3 years. Best calling!! Chan will have a great time with his new one, too. Very cool.