Friday, April 5, 2013

School "Lasts"

This year marks the end of having children in elementary school for me..... yikes I am getting old! And I'm not even 40 yet!! Anyway, I recently attended a few activities at Brianne's school for the last time! The first is Parents and Pastries. This is one of my favorites! We meet with the kids before school in the cafeteria and eat muffins, donuts, bagels etc while reading books with our kids. It's also done while the book fair is going on so that parents can purchase new books for their kids too! And this year it was also during Dr Seuss Day so it was a busy one! But it was fun and I enjoy reading with the kids. My favorite book to read to them is still a pop up book called Wide Mouthed Frog! It's the BEST!

The next activity was one that Brianne would have gladly skipped- Maturation Program! I went to it with both of the boys but had not seen the girl one yet so I was anxious to see what IT had to offer! I was pleasantly surprised at how well they handled it! All of the ones I attended were very well done and they made the kids feel comfortable. Such a fun experience! Hahaha! Gotta love puberty!

Another "last" was the 5th grade State Fair! All of the 5th graders are assigned a State and both Carter and Will had Connecticut (which was total chance) but Brianne got New Jersey! They have to write their state and ask for them to send brochures or other information as well as do their own research on their state. Brianne never received anything from her state, which I assume is due to the after effects of hurricane Sandy and all they were dealing with in the cleanup, but she found quite a bit on her own. They then have to do a oral presentation on their state as well as make a tri-fold with all of the information they found and a parade float out of a shoe box. Then it's time for the State fair! All the kids set up their desks in the gym and display their projects. The parents are invited to attend and we can walk through and ask the kids questions about their state. It's concluded with a small program with the kids singing a state song as well as some others. It was great and Brianne did a beautiful job! She did hers all by herself! I was very proud!

Last one was her final parent teacher conference! She has had a great year! Her teacher, Ms. Wilson, has been wonderful for her! She actually reminds me of Brianne a bit! I could totally see Brianne being a teacher someday! It's been a great year that is going WAY too fast! I am planning to attend their final field trip for Junior Achievement and am looking forward to that as well. Crazy how quickly they grow up, but what a joy!

1 comment:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

How awesome! I still remember our State Fair when I was in the fifth grade, and it was like the best thing ever. (We actually got to pick and I picked West Virginia and got info from our cousins there!) Nice job getting her own info on NJ. :)