Monday, February 13, 2012

Time

Time

Noun: The indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present and future regarded as a whole.

Verb: Plan, schedule, or arrange when (something) should happen or be done.

Time has been a major subject for me over the past week or so. I have found myself talking about it a lot with my family, friends and especially my husband. It seems (and frankly has always seemed) to be going quickly. I have found myself in past years stretching myself too thin to try and fit my time around all the things that have been thrust on my plate. Whether it be the Valentines parties in schools to church activities on the calendar. Well lately after hearing talks by General Authorities in the church to heartfelt discussions with my husband I have decided that my time is too precious to spend it on things that are unimportant. Example #1: School activites. I am currently the PTA Treasurer at my kids elementary school, however, that does NOT mean I have to be at EVERY activity. I will pick and choose the ones I FEEL are important for MY FAMILY. I am no longer going to go overboard on class parties and if I don't contribute something to the class on every holiday I guess I don't.... no harm done. Example #2: Considering all the changes our family has been going through I felt the need to get a job outside the home to help with income. I work around 17 hours a week, doesn't seem like much right? WRONG! After careful consideration with my husband we've decided that to raise a family in the way we want and to be the kind of Mother I want to be, I don't get paid enough to be away from my family for that amount of time. Over the last few months I have had to get rides home for my kids, rush home to get kids to activities and have not been able to do my usual "snack time" after school with my kids. I had always looked forward to that time with them, and I miss it. So this year I set a new goal: I will use my time as I see fit to be a better person, wife, Mother, friend and servant to my Heavenly Father. If it means I let my house go to pot so I can serve in the temple that day- then I guess it will! (which I have done the last 2 weeks BTW!) If it means I will no longer hold a job outside the home after this year- I guess it does! If it means that I decide to keep my kids home one night from mutual so we can have FHE on a Wednesday instead of a Monday when their Dad is home- then I guess it will! I have to tell you that since I have made this decision I feel at peace! I'm not letting anyone else's schedule or time table effect me and my family anymore! It's freeing!! I look forward to the peace it continues to bring me and my family!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you! I feel the same and have made some of those same decisions. It is the best feeling in the world! It is true happiness. :)

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Good for you!!! Those are hard decisions, but you're right--time passes quickly, and it will leave without you, so you have to snap it up while you can. I have done the same thing--do I have to be at EVERY class party at school? No. I also do a little special "snack time" after school, and I know exactly what you're talking about. Periodically, I'm late from errands or whatever and I kind of blow it when I was supposed to be here on time, and I really miss it when that happens. Anyway... Tough choices of give & take, but good ones. I heard someone say once, "The reason we have too much to do is so that we can figure out what's important." So true!

Amy said...

A very thoughtful post. It's something that I think a lot about, too, and it sounds like you've made some good decisions that will bring you greater peace and balance in your life!