Friday, February 11, 2011

A sad day...

I rarely do a post with out some kind of photo of something we are doing, but today there's no photo because it's truly a sad day. The company Chan's family started 50 years ago at the airport called ATG (Air Terminal Gifts) is no longer going to have stores in the airport here in Salt Lake City. :( Chan's grandparents started this company 50 years ago and it has been ran with passion and fantastic product and customer service for all that time! Every few years the airport requires the retail and food/beverage spaces to "re-bid" for their space and we have done that and never been beat out..... until now. It appears that the great service and product we provide has been won out by the good old fashioned dollar. The companies that won are HUGE million dollar companies that have stores at airports all over the country. I thought that our airport was different and that we CARED about community, service and had our own style when it came to stores and their products, but it appears that I was wrong. Have any of you ever noticed a difference when traveleing through our stores versus other stores or other airports? I am in a state of shock and it will take some time to work through it but I KNOW that Chan and his family will come out on top no matter what. They are exceptional people and incredibly business savvy so wherever they decide to head next will for sure be a winner! Wish us luck!!

6 comments:

Anna said...

First the pat-downs and now this! That's it!!! I'm not flying anymore. Seriously sorry to hear. Our best to the clan.

Company EIGHT said...

I'm so sorry, Andee!! That is SO unfortunate, not only for your family, but for everyone who goes through that airport.

Good luck--

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

How maddening and frustrating! I'm so sorry!! I felt so similar when Kevin's group all got laid off--it was more so their books would look good and their stock price would go up because they'd look like they were "streamlining." It's all about The Almighty Dollar. It makes me sick. Good luck to you!!! Hugs & prayers!

AngelaW said...

That is really sad. I love the SL airport. I always go through your shops and love that they are unique and not the typical stores that everyone else has. Also as a former (holy cow lets not think about how long ago) employee of your in-laws, this makes me sad for everyone involved. They were amazing to work for. I loved my summer at the SL airport working for ATG. Hugs to your family. Looking forward to hear what you do next.

Ostler said...

Sad Andee I'm sorry. I was thinking about the fun soap ends that you had. Back in the day. Sometimes the old fashioned dollar should act a little more old fashioned.

Amy said...

Oh my gosh, that is terrible! I'm so sorry to hear that. Wow--I didn't know they had been in business for 50 years! How frustrating. We'll keep you in our prayers.