Monday, September 2, 2013

Football 2013 Week 1

It's hard to believe football has started around here again! I think mainly because it has been SO HOT! I am VERY ready for the crisp fall nights under the lights!

Carter has already had 2 games- the first was against East and it was an out of region game. They knew it would be a tough team and THEY WERE! My favorite word for the East boys was "thick"! They were big, meaty and strong! Most of the team are Polynesian and they are tough! Carter wasn't a starter in that game but played 2 series of defense in the first half (both of which his helmet came off) and then he played the entire second half as guard on offense. He really played great and held his own given how big these guys were. Carter is a tough kid who is very strong but he's not tall when it comes to Varsity line. The tackle that plays next to him is 6'5" and Carter is 5'11"! But he knows his job well and can PLAY! They played hard but had a loss. His next game was against Lone Peak and after watching film from the East game the coaches did some tweaking and changed up the starting line up- and Carter was in. I was so proud! He had earned his spot! The Lone Peak game was a totally different vibe. It was a home game (which is always better) and they came out firing! I think the loss to East was good for them! They won 35 to 17 and played an amazing game! Carter played fantastic and even got a thumbs up from his head coach which I know meant a lot to him. Carter got up this past Sunday to bear his testimony and spoke of this last game. He was VERY nervous and he said that prayer is what got him through. He said that he prayed before his first series and did well. Then went out on the second series and got beat and was angry with himself and he realized he hadn't prayed before that one. He said a prayer out on that field before EVERY series and from then on had the strength he needed in each one. He said he knew that some of that strength came from Heavenly Father. It was amazing to hear- I had no idea he did that. I knew he prayed before the game, but I had no idea he was praying before EVERY series. What a great example to his peers and his family. I am a proud Momma!

Will has had one game and it was against Lone Peak as well. It was the Thursday before Carter's and he was soooo excited to suit up! Chan wasn't able to come because he was at the University of Utah vs Utah State game (which the Utes won- hooray!) so it was me, Brianne and Chan's Grandparents. Will plays defense and is a linebacker and he was not a starter but did get in on a few series throughout the game. He is learning A LOT and I can see improvement in his play but he needs more high school experience. He literally got ran over on one play the poor kid! But he is putting in his best effort and is doing his job well! I am excited for him and all he is learning and I have to keep it in perspective that he is only a Freshman playing on the Sophomore team! I know that each game will get better and I really believe that with his determination he is going to be awesome! Unfortunately the entire team needs the same experience because they lost- and quite handily- to Lone Peak. But there are plenty of games to come and this was their first, so it can only get better! 

I have to say as well how proud I am of Brianne. She was VERY bummed that she would no longer be able to cheer on the sidelines for Will since he was playing for the high school. But since the boys started practice she has become more and more excited to go to the games and she is their BIGGEST cheerleader on the sidelines! She knows most of the Varsity team by name because they spend time here at our house and I even managed to get a photo of her with some of them after their first team dinner. She always gears up in her best Alta gear and was VERY excited to get her "12th Man" shirt to wear on Friday. She is beaming with pride for her brothers and loves to tell people about them. It warms my heart!

I never knew this would be my life when I started having kids but I LOVE IT! I love Friday Night Lights, feeding the team before the game, hearing the varsity boys call me Momma Criz, the cheering, the rowdy kids with paint on their faces to cheer on their team, eating hot dogs in the stands with Chan and giving my sweaty boys hugs when they win and lose. It's a wonderful thing to be a part of and I'm grateful for all of it! Being a Football Mom is the BEST! :)

1 comment:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Aw, your kids are the best! And you always make me wish I were sitting in the stands next to you. How fun would that be?!