Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Year Adventures

I have to admit I am still in a bit of denial that we are in 2013! I agree with most that Christmas seemed to whiz by and now here we are starting anew! But with a new year come new changes!

Chan is finishing out his last few weeks as being a consultant for our joint venture at the airport. The last few restaurants opened around Christmas and now they are just working on clean up and ironing out a few kinks. He's done an amazing job and has been non-stop so walking away is feeling a bit strange. However, he has an interview lined up for a new job and is anxious to see where it takes him! We'll see!

The kids had an awesome Christmas break so getting back into school wasn't popular! (is it ever?) But they've been great and getting back into the groove of things pretty well! Carter just went to MORP with a few friends this month dressed as old people! I am bummed I didn't get a photo, but I'm sure I can get one from one of his friends! Brianne started an art class on Wednesdays and enjoys it very much. Will was able to hit the mountain with his cousin and friend to snowboard! He is participating in the after school program again this year and wanted to go up and use his new board before then so he'd have a feel for it. So listen to this story.... while up there he managed to drop his cell phone on the slopes! Yeah, the new upgraded one he JUST GOT in November! Anyway, Dakota tells him he HAS to call and tell me so he grabs his phone, calls me, and hands it to Will. You can imagine the service isn't "great" up there so the call got dropped but I could tell by his voice that something was wrong. Those few minutes I had to wait to reconnect I was frantic thinking something awful had happened! But thankfully, it was just a lost phone and at that point I just said, oh well and I'd talk to him when I picked them up. I drove up to get them and brought them all home and as soon as I walked in my door at home my home phone rang. The caller ID? WILL's PHONE number! HUH?? I answered it and it was a man on the other end stating his daughter had found the phone on the mountain! I ended up meeting him at the base of the canyon to get it back and could not thank him enough!! Stories like this just don't happen anymore! It was such a blessing, especially given it still worked after being in the snow! I've never been so glad that Will's favorite color is red until that day! I'm sure that why she was able to spot it in the snow! Crazy right!

Flu season.... writing those two words is horrible enough without actually having to experience it! Our house has had some fun with it over the past few weeks! Chan had a sinus infection, which he still is having issues with since it's so cold outside! Last week I got in my car to take the carpool and it was 9 degrees! OUCH! I had an ear infection (my usual) but we've also had some nasty tummy virus going through the family too! I am SO over it! Here's to hoping it's almost done and that warmer weather is coming soon! I'll even take a 38 degree day at this point!

Carter's football banquet was this month as well. He was able to earn his Varsity letter in Football! HOORAY! Such a big milestone! And he's already begun working with his trainer again, John Madsen, to get ready for his Senior season. He's excited to be back in the weight room and his knee is feeling good. Since he earned his letter Chan and I took him to a local athletic store to order his Letterman's jacket. It was fun to go through each choice and help him put it all together. We are so proud of him and excited to see it but we have to wait about 6 weeks for it to get here! Hopefully he'll get to wear it before it gets too warm.

Will was asked to be the Deacon's Quorum President last week! Yay! He has been telling me for about a month that he felt it was going to happen and I am excited for him. It's a big job, especially given the new teaching curriculum, but he is so excited to do it!

Last night Carter was asked to the Sweethearts dance! And funny enough it was the same way he had asked someone to a dance! I love the way they do that here! It's a unique Utah thing I think! Anyway, he is excited and I love that he always ends up going with someone different :)

Brianne used some of her Christmas money and bought a new bike! It's a darling schwinn that is the cruiser style. It's bright pretty colors and big enough for her to grow a bit more! She LOVES it and even though it's been freezing outside she has gone out to ride it! I am happy she decided to do that because she had been riding Carter's old bike and this one suits her so much better! It's adorable!

As for me, well I have been in an all out war with mice. Yup, I said MICE! For some reason the people who lived in our home before us didn't seem to keep things as "clean" as you should. Also, the mice had set up some pretty comfy digs in a drop ceiling in our basement which we discovered not long after we moved in! YUCK! We did A TON of remodeling in our home before we moved in and cleaned up A TON! We have caught a lot of mice friends over the years, but in December since it got so wicked cold they were showing up again. GRRRRR! I am not joking when I say war because in one month I caught 7 mice! SEVEN! EWWW! Have you heard the saying with mice "where there's one there is three?" well it's TRUE! But I am happy to say that I think I am winning the war thanks to some traps inside and poison outside. Let's just hope I am done because it's just ICKY!! I have been cleaning like a FREAK!! Wish me luck!

I hope you new year has had some fun adventures too!

2 comments:

Jennifer's Kitchen said...

Wow, no kidding!! Lots of adventures for you already! Good luck with the mice thing. And I am glad Will found his phone. That's a big deal. Sounds like everyone is doing great things (now that sicknesses are past). Hooray!!

Company EIGHT said...

Adventures is right, my goodness!! That is so awesome that Will's phone was returned to him...there are good people in this world!